Important Back-to-School Dates & Events
Welcome back, Dirksen families! We hope your summer has been restful and fun. Here are some important August dates as we prepare to head back to school:
Week of August 7th –
- The Dirksen office will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day until August 18. Please note that the building will be closed on August 17th starting at 11:00 a.m.
- Each family will receive a welcome back letter giving the dates and times for our back to school events. These letters will include your child’s teacher for the upcoming school year. Also included will be a copy of our morning drop-off procedures and the supply list. The supply lists can be found under the Resources tab to the left, but for your convenience, they can also be accessed here: Supply Lists 2017-18
*5/6 Parents: Please see the Revised 5-6 Supply List
Thursday, August 10th – Information Day
- On this day the office will be open for evening hours from 5:30-7:30 pm . During this time you may drop off any registration information, physical paperwork, and pay consumable fees. The PTA will have membership information available as well. Please note that enrollment forms need to be completely updated and a current proof of residency must be returned in order for your child to be included on a class list for the 2017-18 school year. If you have any questions, please call the Dirksen office at (847) 357-5600.
Friday, August 18th – Supply Drop off and Back to School Picnic
- 4:00-5:00 p.m.- During this time we invite you to visit your child’s classroom, meet their teacher, and drop off school supplies. If you pre-ordered a supply kit they will be available to be picked up during this time.
- 4:00-6:00 p.m. – The PTA will host a back to school picnic. Please join the Dirksen community for pizza and refreshments. It is a nice time for our students to reconnect after the summer break!
Monday, August 21st – First Day of School for 1st-6th grade students
- The first bell rings at 8:25 so plan on arriving between 8:20 and 8:35. Our 3rd and 4th grade students will line up with their teachers on the blacktop near the tennis courts. Our 1st and 2nd grade students will line up with their teachers on the blacktop near Door 2 and our 5th and 6th graders will line up with their teachers on the blacktop next to Door 3. Dismissal will be at 3:00. Our 3rd and 4th graders will exit from Door 1 and our 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th graders will exit from Door 2.
Wednesday, August 23rd – Curriculum night for 3rd – 6th grade (ADULTS ONLY EVENT)
- 6:00-6:30 Curriculum night presentation for 3rd/4th grade in the gym
- 6:45-7:15 Informational meeting for parents of students placed in an accelerated math class for grades 3-6.
- 7:30-8:00 Curriculum night presentation for 5th /6th grade in the gym
Monday, August 28 – First Day of School for Kindergarten Students
- All kindergarten students have the same arrival and dismissal time as the 1st – 6th grade students. Students will line up on the blacktop near the tennis courts with their teachers. We will have staff members taking family pictures outside before the students enter the building with their teacher. At the end of the day, all kindergarten classes will exit the building from the kindergarten classroom doors near the tennis courts. Parents who are picking up their child can meet them there.
Wednesday, August 30th – Curriculum night for Kindergarten – 2nd grade (ADULTS ONLY EVENT)
- 6:00-6:30 Curriculum night presentation for Kindergarten in the gym
- 6:45-7:15 Curriculum night presentation for 1st/2nd grade in the gym
We look forward to seeing you all in a few short weeks! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
Ms. Kort and Mr. Wroblewski