Dirksen serves about 500 students in kindergarten through sixth grade.
Dirksen School offers a variety of educational opportunities and support programs for students. The core curriculum is provided to all children with emphasis on those skills needed for success in the 21st century. Teachers meet in PLC teams in order to collaborate in the planning and implementation of the instruction to meet the needs of every child. Our most important job is to provide the best possible education for our students.
- We offer an integrated classroom curriculum incorporating programs adopted by our School Board that support the new Illinois Learning Standards.
- We offer a balanced literacy program and encourage student growth in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Dirksen students utilize the GoMath! curriculum, which builds on fundamental mathematical concepts to help students solve problems and become mathematically literate.
- We provide 30 minutes of daily Literacy and Math Acceleration to all students to maximize their achievement in these areas.
- We provide innovative learning spaces, as well as a Creation Studio to support District 54’s strategic focus area of cultivating innovation in learning space and instructional design.
- All students receive one hour of instruction in Music, Physical Education and Art classes. They also spend one hour a week in the Creation Studio using Makerspace activities. These involve collaboration, creativity, problem-solving, and exploring using high- and low-tech materials.
- We support the success and development of the whole child through a social-emotional learning curriculum, as well as PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports).