Dirksen’s theme for the year is Together We Can, with a focus on the acronym for TEAMWORK. For November and December we are focusing on the M–Make a difference. We have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of some of our own Dirksen students’ lives by raising money for cancer research.
We know our families and the Dirksen community cares. We want to make a difference, and together we can help! For the month of November we will be having a Coins for a Cure Challenge. Each class will have a water jug in their class. Beginning on Monday, October 29, students will be able to begin filling the jug with coins. Our hope is to raise money to donate to pediatric cancer research to make a difference in the lives of our Dirksen families and so many others who have been touched by pediatric cancer. Together we can make a difference!
On Wednesday, October 31, we will be celebrating Halloween by having our annual Costume Parade and Halloween room parties. In order to ensure the safety of all of our students, we will be using the following guidelines for our school celebration.
- We encourage students to have a costume they can put on themselves. If you plan to take your child home during lunch to help them get ready you will need to sign them out at the start of their lunch period.
- The Halloween parade will begin at 12:45. We will exit Door 1 and parade around the perimeter of the building, weather permitting. Parent spectators are welcome to observe the parade at any point outside around the perimeter of the building. Be sure to come out and see all our fabulous costumes! Classroom parties will begin after the parade at 1:15. If you are volunteering in a classroom, please sign on the sheet in the main office at 1:00. Only those who are on the volunteer list in the main office will be allowed to help out at the party.
- For the safety of our students no food will be served at our parties. Instead each classroom will have fun activities for the students to enjoy. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and we hope all our students have a fun and safe Halloween this year!
There’s still time for your student to enter the PTA Reflections contest, a national arts program sponsored by the PTA. Students can draw or paint a picture, take a photograph, write a song, choreograph a dance, or make a short film. All students who enter will be recognized. If you still need an entry form or a copy of the contest rules, see Mr. Johnson or email email@example.com. All entries are due to the Dirksen main office by Wednesday, October 31.
Dirksen yearbooks for the 2018-2019 season are available for purchase online. The cost of the yearbook remains the same as last year at $20. Online orders allow for customization of two pages with personal photos and memories specific to your child and provides the option to upgrade to a hardcover for an additional cost of $6.00. To purchase & customize your yearbook, go to www.TreeRing.com/validate
- Enter our school’s passcode: 1014114021334006
- Returning families may already have account information established and can login as a “returning customer” and update their child’s information for the current school year and proceed with ordering without needing the school passcode.We will provide opportunities to place orders via cash or check periodically throughout the year, however only online ordering allows for customization or upgrade options.
As part of District 54’s Promise, our staff has the goal of working to ensure that the whole-child has success in their learning. Teachers will be working through a SEL curriculum. The staff at Dirksen has always looked to build that strong class culture and community, looking through topics that our students are facing during the year and addressing the needs of our learners. We are excited that the district has created the goal of the whole-child success and are incorporating a curriculum to address the social and emotional needs of children. As a parent, you may want more information about this curriculum. Click here for Home School Connections.
If you are interested in obtaining voluntary Student Accident Insurance for your child or children, please view the 2018-19 Online Student Accident Insurance Enrollment – (English & Spanish) to view important information and register.
The supply list for the next school year can be found under the Resources tab. You can also access them by clicking this link: