Dirksen held a special assembly to kick off a great year of learning, and we also wanted to thank a very special person. Mr. Alex is the contractor who has been working so hard on the construction of our new classrooms and the Innovation Studio, as well as the other construction issues that have come up since we broke ground last Spring. While the work isn’t complete yet, we wanted to thank Mr. Alex for all he has done to make our school even greater! Students read thank you notes to him, and Dash presented him with a special gift.
We will continue our Fall MAP testing this week. Here is the testing schedule for this week:
– Monday: Make-ups
– Tuesday: 1st and 2nd grade Math
– Wednesday: 3rd and 4th grade Math
– Thursday: Kinder, 5th and 6th grade Math
– Friday: Make-ups
As a reminder, all you need to do to help your child be prepared for the testing is to ensure he/she gets a good night’s sleep, eats a healthy breakfast, and feels encouraged to do his/her best!
Dirksen yearbooks for the 2018-2019 season are available for purchase online. The cost of the yearbook remains the same as last year at $20. Online orders allow for customization of two pages with personal photos and memories specific to your child and provides the option to upgrade to a hardcover for an additional cost of $6.00. To purchase & customize your yearbook, go to www.TreeRing.com/validate
- Enter our school’s passcode: 1014114021334006
- Returning families may already have account information established and can login as a “returning customer” and update their child’s information for the current school year and proceed with ordering without needing the school passcode.
We will provide opportunities to place orders via cash or check periodically throughout the year, however only online ordering allows for customization or upgrade options. Please click here for a special September discount!
As part of District 54’s Promise, our staff has the goal of working to ensure that the whole-child has success in their learning. Teachers will be working through a SEL curriculum. The staff at Dirksen has always looked to build that strong class culture and community, looking through topics that our students are facing during the year and addressing the needs of our learners. We are excited that the district has created the goal of the whole-child success and are incorporating a curriculum to address the social and emotional needs of children. As a parent, you may want more information about this curriculum. Click here for Home School Connections.
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for September. Please note that child care is always available.
- ·Springboard for a Healthy Lifestyle – Do you want to embrace a healthy lifestyle? Are you interested in participating in the District 54 Run to Read with your child, but don’t know where to start? Come to this free educational seminar for adults only and get your new healthy life started on the right foot. Hear from experts from Dick Pond Athletics as they discuss many topics including how to get started, proper stretching and recovery, information on a free Walk2Run program and more. This event will take place at 7 p.m. on September 4, 2018, at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- The Happiness Advantage – Happiness is not something that happens to you but rather a choice you can make to lead a more fulfilling and enriching life. Research shows that choosing happiness has an advantage beyond simply feeling good. Come learn about the benefits of positive psychology and experience it firsthand through fun and interactive activities. Parents, guardians and students in third through eighth grade are welcome to attend. This event will take place at 6:30 p.m. on September 27, 2018, at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
To register or for more information, contact Meg Kwak at (847) 357-6586 or email@example.com.
If you are interested in obtaining voluntary Student Accident Insurance for your child or children, please view the 2018-19 Online Student Accident Insurance Enrollment – (English & Spanish) to view important information and register.
The supply list for the next school year can be found under the Resources tab. You can also access them by clicking this link: