Come one, come all to Dirksen’s Pancake Breakfast and Holiday Gift Shop on Saturday, December 2nd. The Pancake Breakfast will run from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and the Holiday Shop will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. This is a great family event! .
Besides enjoying wonderful pancakes (gluten free available) catered by Relish Catering Kitchen, all students will have the opportunity to participate in a door prize give away sponsored by the Dirksen Staff – there will be multiple door prizes to win! Also, enjoy a performance from the 6th Grade Dirksen Band at 9:00 a.m. To make it even more fun, we welcome the students to come in their pajamas. We are also excited to announce the Photo Club will be displaying their work and there will be art work on display from some of the Dirksen students.
The Holiday Gift Shop is a great place for children to shop for parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers, etc. There are plenty of gifts $5 and under. All proceeds come back to Dirksen
Tickets are $7 per person; tickets must be purchased in advance. To purchase tickets to this fun family event, please complete the attached form, which was sent home with students, and return the form to the school in an envelope marked “Pancake Breakfast” on or by Tuesday, November 21st. All orders are due Tuesday, November 21st. Pancake Breakfast Invitation – 2017.pdf
We are also looking for volunteers for this event. If you are interested in volunteering for the Pancake Breakfast, or have any questions abotu the event, please contact Sarah Tancredi at email@example.com.
Thank you to all of the families who are using our drop off zone. We wanted to share a few reminders to make sure the process flows smoothly and that all of our students arrive safely to school.
- Please make sure your children are ready to hop out of the car quickly. This will help to keep the line moving.
- If you are dropping students off on the south side of Beech Drive please make sure they cross with the crossing guard. With the heavy flow of traffic at drop off time we want to make sure the students are crossed safely.
- Please do not park on Beech Drive to the right of the parking lot exit. There are signs posted that say no stopping or parking in between the two signs. The police will ticket cars who are parked there.
- Please refrain from turning around in neighbors driveways. When cars are backing out into the line of traffic, it is also causing disruption to the traffic flow.
Our Dirksen Dolphins have started out the school year by living the Eight Keys of Excellence. We have recognized two groups of students so far. In September, we focused on the key of This is It and the following students were nominated by their teachers:
Kindergarten: Nathan L., Charlotte S., Mihira M.
1/2: Jack M., Guru S., Claire W., Brikena S., Aryana P., Adelyn P.
3/4: Dominika H., Ryne P., Nicolas O., Charlie B., Ryley D., Jiya P.
5/6: David D., Dimitri K., Adrianne C., Bailey A., Aidan P., Damian L.
In October, we focused on the key of Ownership and the following students were nominated by their teachers:
Kindergarten: Gabby K., Surya R., Caleb H.
1/2: Ethan B., Claudia A., Anderson C., Paige J., Evan B., Mason G.
3/4: Katie S., Evelyn H., Alaina D., Matthew C., Uliana H., Donovan L.
5/6 (not pictured): Darnel D., Hamza Q., Kate V., Adi J., Joey B.
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for November.
• Your Kids Can Be Resilient! Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor Meghan Rietz will teach parents methods that can improve a child’s ability to deal with adverse situations and events. This presentation is for adults only, but free childcare is available. The program is from 6 to 7 p.m. on November 8 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, located at 522 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg.
• Family Literacy Night: This event is for parents and students in early childhood through second grade to engage in a variety of fun activities that revolve around reading and writing. This hands-on activity will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on November 30 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, located at 522 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg.
If you are interested in attending these free events and for more information about Schaumburg Parent University, visit our website at http://sd54.org/spu.
Students in Miss Vonderheide’s and Miss O’Brien’s classes participated in a video chat with a class they adopted in Texas in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. Miss V. and Miss O’Brien chose Mrs. Benson’s class at Taft Elementary School in Port Arthur, Texas from an adopt-a-classroom list published post-Harvey by Texas Teachers of Tomorrow. The students collected four boxes of school supplies, along with backpacks for each child in the Taft class.
Miss V. and Miss O’Brien also collected six boxes of other donated items such as toys, clothing and shoes from family and friends, which they sent to the Taft students along with the school supplies.
The Taft students thanked the Dirksen students for the donations, and both groups asked questions about the other students’ state and school during the video chat. We are so proud of our generous and kind-hearted teachers and students!
District 54 launched an online report card at the end of last school year. Everyone who has a parent portal account will be able to see their children’s report cards online by November 21, 2017. All parents and guardians who have not previously created a portal account but have supplied District 54 with an email address should have received an email during the first week of October with a direct link to sign up for the portal. If you do not receive an email but would like to create a portal account, please contact our office. If you are unable to access the parent portal and require a paper copy of your student’s report card, please contact our office.
Please read the attached letter that outlines our Emergency Response plan. Dirksen Parent Drill Letter.doc